Instructions To Patients with Plaster Of Paris Casts, Splints and Supports
Colchester General Hospital
Tel: 01206 742117
Clacton minor injuries unit
Tel: 01255 201662 9am-9pm
Harwich minor injuries unit
Tel: 01255 201226 9am-9pm
What do I need to know?
Instructions to patients with plaster of Paris casts, splints and supports:
- don’t walk on your cast at any time as it is non-weight bearing
- don’t write on your plaster until it is dry
- don’t get it wet
- don’t poke anything down under your plaster
- don’t keep your sling on longer than instructed
- don’t cut, knock or bump your plaster
- do exercise your fingers, toes, shoulder and elbow joints
- do elevate your plastered limb, whenever possible
- do use crutches as instructed
- please return them when no longer needed
Telephone 01206 742117 at once if any of the following appear in your fingers / toes:
- severe pain marked swelling which does not reduce after you have elevated limb for one hour
- blueness or discolouration
- inability to move fingers/toes
- numbness or pins and needles
or if your cast:
- becomes loose, or is otherwise uncomfortable
If in doubt, telephone for advice on: 01206 742117.
Please take care of your plaster. It takes time to apply and costs between £10 and £100
When you attend hospital, you will be asked to confirm your first and last names, date of birth, postcode and NHS number if you know it, and to let us know if you have any allergies.
Comments, compliments or complaints about your care Please raise any concerns in the ward or department you are in. Ask to speak with the ward sister, matron or department manager. If your concerns cannot be resolved or you wish to make a formal complaint, please call PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) on 0800 783 7328 or pick up a PALS leaflet.
If you or a family member has recently been in Colchester General Hospital, you can tell us about your experience by searching for ‘Colchester’ on the NHS Choices website (www.nhs.uk) or by filling in a ‘Friends & Family’ questionnaire at the hospital.